1965 ... building 'in' shelter



... as a kid growing up during the 'hottest' years of the Cold War, and having a vivid imagination, I was always aware of the shelter potential of any structure I was in. 
The above example would have been a winner on my list. It reminds me of the modern "International Style' Protestant church we went to.  The big deserted glass lobby would be great for a quick run upstairs to check the rad level and peer at the glowing landscape. "Ooo- Buicks melt the best!" However there was likely to be a crowd of decaying atomic-zombies pressing there gooey faces against all that plate glass. I'd also have to keep an eye on the large planter area under the flying staircase because atomic-zombies love hiding behind rubber trees.

LBJ sure has the look of a guy who always keeps his six-shooters loaded with plenty of megatonage.
Black and white Presidents looked much more grim and ready with their atomic trigger-fingers. Although the secret was that Reagan was really black and white and they just added the color with make-up.

4 comments:

JRSM said...

Your church story is very familiar... I was similarly obsessed with working out the survival odds of the buildings I was in (I grew up in Australia very close to a US missile tracking station, so assumed I'd be in a target zone0.

Thanks for this site, by the way--lots of chilling nostalgia, and some seriously impresive research.

Fallout Shelters said...

Very interesting post, Thank You for the info. I'm taking notes and enjoying some of the useful information I've found on your blog too.

Nuclear Bomb Blast Effects

Disaster Bunkers said...

Great blog across the board, what a great blogger you are. Thanks for sharing.

underground shelters

Utah Bomb Shelter said...

Awesome, this is an unique blog I have seen. Keep Posting.

Underground Bomb Shelter